Friday, January 21, 2011

It is so close...

Today is a rest day and, boy, did I need it! My legs have gotten so heavy this week during my training. This IS the first full week of hardcore training. This soreness in my legs really got me thinking this week...can I really do this?

It's not really a question of whether I can run the half marathon or not. I know that I can run it and complete it, probably without all this "hardcore" training...BUT I am a competitor and just finishing at this point is not an option for me. Besides, I've done that already. On to the next. You know when I told my dad that I was going for under 2 hours he didn't even flinch. Well, I don't know if he flinched (We were on the phone) but he didn't hesitate in telling me that I could do it and it was fully possible. I know myself that this is a lofty goal but...here I go anyway. It actually gave me a lot of confidence that he had faith in me. I know that my mom believes in me too, along with the rest of my family and friends. I don't want to disappoint anyone, especially myself. I think of the impossible and I think of how I used to do back tucks when I cheered...Now, THAT is scary!

My intervals I ran this week were difficult. I did it and I ran on pace but I didn't want to. I was tired. My legs were tired. I had ran the 7 miles on Sunday, strength trained on Monday, and ran 4.5 miles on Tuesday. Intervals on Wednesday were...not desired. I think it is me getting used to the speedwork. I've never done this before so my body is adapting and it is letting me know. I got some good advice this week from one of my half-marathonmates that this happens during training and it will get easier. Good to know. Good to keep going. And keep going I will. Tomorrow, I am running 3-4 miles on my HMP (half-marathon pace). Then, on Sunday, 9 miles. I find joy in looking for new places to run and planning playlists for my run. I realized when talking about why I am doing this last week I forgot to mention my love of running. It is just a given to me and I consider this an unspoken known.

I am so excited about going to the half marathon. My mom thinks I am just excited to go to Disney World. (Who says I'm not?) I love theme parks and don't all athletes say they are going to Disney World when they win? Well, I will already be there when I cross that finish line :) Another thing that I love about and am pumped for is the camaraderie. There is something about being with other runners, surrounded by them that makes me feel in my element. Now, granted, I am no Olympic runner, by any means, but that doesn't make me love it any less. When you love something, you want to get better at it and you want to be around other people who love it just as much as you do. Runners understand each other. They understand why we will go out in the middle of a rainstorm and will be as happy as a lark to run 4 or 5 miles. They understand why we will run for hours on end to train or just to run. They understand when other people say "how can you like to run?" or "I hate running. Why would you want to do that for fun?" and all we can do is just smile and say "I love it." or "It is my release." No one else understands. No one else understands until they have enjoyed a run. Once you enjoy a run, it is addictive. It is a drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment