Sunday, February 10, 2013

Big wheel keep on turnin'

Ah, the marathon.  It is a beast.  The race itself is a beast, but the training is an even bigger beast, in my opinion.  The beast that seems to get me every time.

And so it goes, I'm injured, once again.  Not sure what exactly it is but taking some time off of my legs to recover.  I am doing my "runs" in the pool.  Pool running I have found to be pretty easy to get used to.  It's basically just like it sounds...running in the pool.  I get to wear this awesome floaty belt that keeps me from going under water as I pedal back and forth.   
 
Be jealous.  I'm about to become a style icon.
It can become quite boring for an hour and twenty minutes in the pool.  I'm not cool enough to have a) a hat b) iPod shuffle or c) a waterproof mp3 player, which would all three help me pass the time with music (my savior on most long runs).  So here I go, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, you get the picture.  I had my thoughts to keep my company but sometimes that can be dangerous.  I started thinking, what if I can't run anymore.  My world, as I know it, will be changed forever.  Will the runners still be my friends?  I won't get to go on fun race weekend trips.  I won't get my stress release of the day.  I need that.  What would I do?  Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

So, I keep going.  I started making up songs.  50 minutes to go, oh yeah, 50. Yeah, 50 minutes to go.  Being a first-grade teacher, one learns how to make up songs about anything.  Then, I started jamming to Proud Mary in my head.   "Big wheel keep on turnin'.  Proud Mary keep on burnin'.  Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river. do do do do do do do doodo dododo!"  Oh my.  I did pass the time though!

On the docket was a 14 miler for today so I knew that I needed to make up that time in the water or by some other method of moving my legs.  I decided after an hour and twenty minutes in the water I needed to get out for my sanity.  I got on the treadmill to walk.  I walked hills because that's what I'm training for...Big Sur.  One big giant, massive hill after another.  I got 3.8 miles in an hour.  No need to set any records here.  I'm just wanting to heal...

And now, Proud Mary for your enjoyment :)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment