Sunday, February 24, 2013

Today was a good day.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm getting ready to pour my heart out...

First of all it was the 2 year "runniversary" (a term we coined for the occasion) of the first race I ran with my run buds-Disney Princess Half (I was Cinderella).  Time to celebrate!  So I ran 13.1 miles. :)  I felt great!  The ole knee was a little tight but nothing like it was two weeks ago.

On an unrelated note, I was reminded repeatedly of how blessed I really am after feeling a little down and stressed out this week.  

Then I was at Walgreen's.  I saw a lady in a wheelchair.  She appeared to have Huntington's disease.

I felt so guilty and so selfish for feeling sorry for myself.  How lucky am I that I can run?  Much less a marathon in one of the most beautiful places in America?  How blessed am I that I can communicate with others?

Then, on my way to church today, I watched two homeless people cross the street while I waited at a stoplight.  I cried.  But, I'm a crier.  Once again, how lucky am I? 

Redeemer Community is amazing.  I cannot express the uplifting feeling that I get inside that place when we are all singing and praising in unison.  I cried there, too.  Tears of happiness that I am here now.  That my life is good.  Better than most could ever hope for.  Better than I should ever expect.

Then I ran my miles.  I didn't want to at first.  I stopped to get gas.  When I got out the wind almost knocked me over.  My first thought was Great.  I will be the first to admit, friends, I am a fair weather runner.  You know that saying "There's no such thing as bad weather, only soft people."?  I'm one of those people.  But I'm trying!  I ran today and it was fan-tab-u-lous!!  The weather was perfect and I felt wonderful.  I ran on this bike path in the next town over.  Just a few months ago this path had flooded so this was the first time I was able to run there in a long while.  I had missed it.  It is one of my favorite places to run because I feel so nature-y.

So, today, be happy with what you have.  All that you have.  Even it's not what society expects of you, be grateful.


So let hope rise and darkness tremble...


No comments:

Post a Comment