Thursday, December 19, 2013

anticipating Christ

Last week, my team and I spent time teaching our first graders about "Holidays Around the World".  We did something we don't normally do.  We rotated classes.  We passed our 4 classes around Tuesday-Friday.  By Friday, they were back in their "home"rooms.

When I learned of what we were doing I freaked out a little bit because I didn't know what holiday I was going to teach.  They had already taken Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and St. Nicholas' Day.  I did a lot of research via the internet.  Lo and behold, I found out about Las Posadas, a Mexican tradition of reenacting the journey of Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem.

Las Posadas is celebrated for 9 nights, symbolic of the nine months Jesus was in Mary's womb.  Each night, there is a procession.  Participants carry candles and sing songs, traveling from house to house.  Until, at last, they are allowed inside, where a huge celebration takes place.

Can you imagine being Mary or Joseph?  I mean, for real.  How would you feel?  How would you react?  Would you be like Mary and Joseph?  All accepting and trusting?  Or like Zachariah, told of John the Baptist's soon arrival, doubting and unbelieving?

I would like to think I would be like Mary but I think that my reaction would be more like Zachariah's.  "How could that be?"  "It's not possible!"  God, teach me to trust you more fully.

john 1_14

Do you have any traditions to honor Christ during Christmas?

 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm I don't think we have any "traditions" per se. We're already faithful church attenders, etc., so I think the only thing I do "extra" every year is participate in the Christmas program at church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always make Jesus a birthday cake & sing Him Happy Birthday song before our Christmas meal!

    ReplyDelete